Thursday, August 14, 2014

Captain Robert Gould Shaw to Annie Kneeland Haggerty Shaw, February 4, 1863 (Excerpt)

February 4.

Father has just left here. He came down yesterday, and brought me an offer from Governor Andrew of the colonelcy of his new black regiment . The Governor considers it a most important command, and I could not help feeling, from the tone of his letter, that he did me a great honor in offering it to me. My father will tell you some of the reasons why I thought I ought not to accept it. If I had taken it, it would only have been from a sense of duty, for it would have been anything but an agreeable task.

SOURCE: Thomas Wentworth Higginson, Editor, Harvard Memorial Biographies, Volume 2, p. 202

1 comment:

Jim Miller said...

This post is the 10,000th post on Civil War Notebook!