Friday, August 8, 2014

Major-General Thomas J. Jackson to Mary Anna Morrison Jackson, January 5, 1863

January 5th, 1863.

. . . How much I do want to see you and our darling baby! But I don't know when I shall have this happiness, as I am afraid, since hearing so much about the little one's health, that it would be imprudent to bring it upon a journey, so I must just content myself. Mrs. General Longstreet, Mrs. General A. P. Hill, and Mrs. General Rodes have all been to see their husbands. Yesterday I saw Mrs. Rodes at church, and she looked so happy that it made me wish I had Mrs. Jackson here too; but whilst I cannot see my wife and baby, it is a great comfort to know that you have a darling little pet to keep you company in my absence.  . . . I heard a good sermon at Grace Church (where General Hill has his headquarters) by an Episcopal minister, Mr. Friend. Colonel Faulkner is with us again, and I expect him to take the position of my senior adjutant-general.

SOURCE: Mary Anna Jackson, Life and Letters of General Thomas J. Jackson (Stonewall Jackson), p. 411-2

No comments: