Saturday, April 4, 2015

Colonel Charles Russell Lowell to Colonel J. H. Taylor, June 30, 1863 – 5 a.m.

NEAR HOOD'S MILLS, MD., June 30, 1863 5 a.m.
Lieut. Col. J. H. TAYLOR:

COLONEL: As far as I can learn, the enemy has all passed Westminster. Unless Hooker's cavalry can intercept them west of there, and drive them back, I believe there is little chance of their returning this way. I sent last night to communicate with Hooker's picket on the Frederick and Baltimore turnpike, a few miles west of Cooksville, but the officer has not returned.

Rations are out to-day, but I can manage if you have any information that they are likely to return this way. Have sent north to Freedom, and shall wait here for orders from you.

C. R. LOWELL, JR.,
Colonel.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 27, Part 3 (Serial No. 45), p. 428

No comments: