Thursday, April 12, 2018

Commander Andrew Hull Foote to Gideon Welles, April 4, 1861

[Copy]
Navy Yard                 
New York      
April 4/61
Sir:

Captain Meigs has called on me with a letter showing his authority from the government to have certain preparations made and things placed on board of vessels soon to go to sea, about which you are familiar; but as the orders do not come direct I make this report, but as no time is to be lost I am preparing what is called for and report my action.

I have the honor to be in great haste

Yr Obdt Servt,
A. H. Foote
For Comdt.
Hon: Gideon Welles
Sec'y of the Navy
Washington D. C.

SOURCES: Robert Means Thompson & Richard Wainwright, Editors, Publications of the Naval Historical Society, Volume 9: Confidential Correspondence of Gustavus Vasa Fox, Assistant Secretary of the Navy, 1861-1865, Volume 1, p. 19

No comments: