Sunday, November 9, 2014

Governor Samuel J. Kirkwood to William H. Seward, March 20, 1863

Executive Office, Iowa,
Iowa City, March 20th, 1863.

Sir: — I have the honor to acknowledge the receipt of your note of the 18th inst., announcing to me my appointment as Minister Resident of the United States to Denmark, and enquiring how soon, in case of my acceptance, I will be prepared to proceed to Copenhagen.

I beg leave to tender my thanks for the honor conferred upon me by this appointment.

The tender of this position to me was wholly unexpected, and consequently I desire a short delay and some information before I make my determination. My principal reason for asking delay is this: The condition of affairs in this State at this time is somewhat critical and many of our people have expressed to me a strong desire that I shall continue in the discharge of my present official duties for a few months longer. Will you be kind enough to inform me how long I can be permitted to remain here in case I accept the appointment? I also wish to know what attaches, if any, belong to this mission and how they are appointed and paid.

Upon receiving this information I will immediately determine the question of acceptance. Very respectfully,

Your obedient servant,
SAMUEL J. KIRKWOOD.
Hon. Wm. H. Seward, Secretary of State,
Washington City, D. C.

SOURCE: Henry Warren Lathrop, The Life and Times of Samuel J. Kirkwood, Iowa's War Governor, p. 276-7

No comments: