Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Colonel William F. Bartlett to Harriett Plummer Bartlett, Sunday, March 8, 1863

A beautiful day. In the afternoon Ben and I took a ride down to the town. A great many troops have come up lately. I suppose we shall move up the river before long. After dress parade I formed a hollow square and read the services. The Doctor dined with us to-night. We had a good beefsteak, fried potatoes, onions, tea, and rice. I don't know what more you could ask for. For breakfast this morning I had the same thing you did, fried hasty pudding, with better molasses. To-morrow morning it will be fried rice, and the next day fried hominy, then back to Indian pudding again. A variety you see. I am very well all over. Love to all.

Affectionately,
W. F. B.

SOURCE: Francis Winthrop Palfrey, Memoir of William Francis Bartlett, p. 70-1

No comments: