Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Mrs. Wittenmyer at Work

A letter was received last evening from Mrs. Wittenmyer by the President of the Ladies Aid Society giving an account of her labors among the wounded at Pittsburg Landing. She writes: “I have been going around with a bucket and dipper through the boats and tents administering to the wants of our brave men who are very weak and faint from long fasting and the pain caused by their wounds. Mangled bodies, wounded, dying and dead are lying around me in every direction. I am here to do all that I can; my goods are being rapidly used up by the hundreds of wounded around me, and I am wishing for more.”

She earnestly appeals to the Ladies of Iowa to prepare and forward supplies for the suffering volunteers with all possible dispatch – {Gate.

– Published in the Burlington Daily Hawk-Eye, Burlington, Iowa, Saturday, April 19, 1862

No comments: