Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Captain William Thompson Lusk to Elizabeth Adams Lusk, January 16, 1863

Camp Near Falmouth, Va.
Jan. 16th, 1863.
My dear Mother:

We have orders to march to-morrow. I cannot say whether we will positively do so, but it is certainly intended that we move very shortly.

I do not know whether the movement is intended as an advance, or whether it is proposed, as was the case a couple of weeks ago, to fall back on Washington. It is generally supposed that the first will be the case. I am glad for anything like a movement, and I trust that this time we may have a successful encounter with the enemy. But oh, I do trust too, that, should I come unharmed out of whatever dangers are before me, I will be able to get out of this Regiment. I do not want any further connection with foreigners. I would almost prefer never to come out alive from this campaign, if it is only to prolong the present disagreeable associations.

No matter though, I am always content when actually in motion. The thought of being really able to contribute something, however little, to the Cause, is then dominant, and I can afford to forget the more selfish feelings that I cannot repress in camp. This letter must be short, for I am pressed for time.

Good-bye. God bless you all. All will be for the best. If we are to fight, pray God to give us victory.

Affec'y.,
Will.

SOURCE: William Chittenden Lusk, Editor, War Letters of William Thompson Lusk, p. 268

No comments: