Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Correction


FORT DONELSON, TENN., March 5.

EDITOR GAZETTE:– Sir:  In your issue of the 25th inst. I saw two letters of min written to my father, and on second reading of the one of the 19th inst., I discovered I too hastily wrote it and am now desirous of correcting it.  It says “during the first charge, the regiment divided, the right wing going to the right to save themselves behind a portion of the hill, the left wing under my command, instead of giving way, went on until I told them to save themselves behind trees.”

The above conveys the idea that the right wing gave way, which is a gross error.  The Nature of the ground threw them under the brow of a hill, which in a measure protected them from the extreme heavy fire, yet they received heavy volleys, and did not give way in the least, but advanced nearer to the breastworks than the left wing.  I made this error in writing hastily and did not at the time design to convey the idea of the above sentence.  The correction is due to Col. Shaw, also companies D, E and F, with their commanders, and I most cheerfully make it, hoping you will as willingly publish it.

Yours respectfully,

N. N. TYNER,
Adjutant of the 14th Iowa Infantry.

– Published in The Davenport Daily Gazette, Davenport, Iowa, Thursday Morning, March 13, 1862, p. 2

1 comment:

Jim Miller said...

Issues of the Davenport Daily Gazette are missing for Feb. 22, 24, 25 & 26, 1862. The paper was not printed on Sundays and therefore there would not have been a paper for Feb. 23, 1862.