Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Major-General Ulysses S. Grant to Major-General Henry W. Hallack, June 8, 1863

NEAR VICKSBURG, MISS., June 8, 1863.
Maj. Gen. H. W. HALLECK,
        General-in-Chief:

Vicksburg is closely invested. I have a spare force of about 30,000 men with which to repel anything from the rear. This includes all I have ordered from West Tennessee. Johnston is concentrating a force at Canton, and now has a portion of it west of Big Black River. My troops have been north as far as Satartia, and on the ridge back of that point there is no force yet. I will make a waste of all the country I can between the two rivers. I am fortifying Haynes' Bluff, and will defend the line from here to that point at all hazards.

U.S. GRANT,        
Major-general.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 24, Part 1 (Serial No. 36), p. 41

No comments: