I was on drill in bayonet exersize but I feel feeble with
great indifference about moving around I recd a letter from my Daughter dated
19th & 22nd It greatly relieves my mind, my son is better, but was not able
to turn or help himself & had been verry low for nine weeks, & while I
know the Lord will do wright & I feel like trusting him, having dedicated
my children to him by baptism in infancy, & trust I now have everything
upon the alter, but my mind is some way so ocupied about my children that I
cannot rest, & fear unless I can in some way more fully trust the Lord with
the care & protection of them my body will sink & I become prostrated.
Oh that the precious Saviour would help me. I was at Genl Clinton B Fisks head
Quarters & had a pleasant time with him he sent one of his orders to our
Chaplain by me & promised to be with us tomorrow for preaching1
_______________
1Clinton B. Fisk of St. Louis, became colonel of the Thirty-third Missouri Infantry September, 1862; brigadier-general in November, 1862; and was breveted major-general in March, 1865. He was soldier, business man, educator, reformer, and philanthropist. Fisk University was named in his honor. In 1888 he was the candidate of the Prohibition party for president of the United States. He died in 1890.
SOURCE: Edgar R. Harlan, Currator, Annals of Iowa, 3rd Series, Vol. 15, No. 2, October 1925, p. 107
No comments:
Post a Comment