Friday, October 29, 2021

Mrs. Mary Duncan to Major-General Henry W. Halleck, April 26, 1863

Major General Halleck,
Genl in Chief
My dear Sir

I had intended leaving for Washington tomorrow but as circumstances will prevent said trip for a few days I now enclose the letters of Genl Scott and Dr. Metcalf and must beg permission to state my case on paper. – My father in law Dr. Duncan of Miss. (a northerner by birth) has always been a staunch & devoted unionist – and to avoid unpleasant strife with his neighbors (as he is now nearly eighty years old) has remained on his own private country seat near Natchez -  having been off said estate on only two occasions in nearly two years! None of his sons (or sons in law) are in the rebel army, – although they were all conscripted & my husband – Mr. Henry Duncan – would neither serve nor obtain a “substitute.” The Duncan family have had many thousand bales of cotton destroyed by the rebel authorities, have been vilified (even in the public journals) threatened with arrest and confiscation and have suffered peculiarly for their well known unionism. Then when the union troops descended the Mississippi river (on which Stream - ninety miles above Vicksburg opposite Lake Providence there are nine plantations belonging to the United family) we were horribly depredated on, lost very many negroes – & had nearly all the provisions taken away – while my brother-in-law – Steven Duncan Jr had his house stripped of everything including mantle pieces! – Having obtained a “permit” from Washington, I went South the last of January and returned here (to my sister) about three weeks since & when in plantation regions – I applied at once to Gen Grant & the admiral, – found them both most kind & courteous & they on a full hearing our miserably unfortunate position (between guerillas & Federal soldiers) promised protection from other Foraging parties. Genl McPherson was also very kind and I had a delightful visit to the Fleet – having met with nothing but civility from the officers in command. – I had not heard from my husband for my for six months prior to my departure from N. Y. – I had not been south for six months prior to my departure from N. Y. – I had not been south for nearly two years – so the terrible condition of things “below the line” was a double shock to me although – I well know that in war – the innocent must often times suffer for the guilty. Mr. Duncan insisted on my return north as the neighbors threatened us with the arrest & the Union troops (especially the Kansas regiments) were very troublesome despite “protection” papers, while guerilla bands were in unpleasant proximity. Therefore I left the unhappy country & as soon as Vicksburg falls – Mr. Duncan would join me here. – We have been compelled to hire our negroes – & – even as it is – have lost great numbers of them. – so that I think, Dear General, our position doubly trying – as we have been equally pillaged & maltreated by friend & foe, & nothing but Genl Grant’s justice & the kindness of the Admiral – (for the Duncan loyalty was well known to the fleet) saved us from entire ruin. As you perhaps know that “foraging” is an extremely elastic term often times. – & on Mississippi river it seems to include anything that a soldier may see fit to seize. My object, Dear Genl, in thus addressing you, is to claim & request that which – as long-suffering Unionists we have a right to ask viz. – direct protection from headquarters – for owing to the orders of Gen Grant that our property should not the pillaged – & that some fragment should be left from the wreck – various complaints have been made in the newspapers – & the charge of disloyalty implied. Of course there are many officers who would gladly avail of the privilege of seizing our property if the opportunity were aforded them – & I know that some of the men who are under arrest for the violation of our “protection” papers – would too gladly revenge themselves by circulating falsehoods concerning us. I can give every proof of our abiding Unionism, – if you wish other testimony than my own word of honor as a lady – & I can refer you to anyone who knows us for further evidence on the subject. – Will you kindly inform me – Dear Genl – whether the negroes of loyalist (now hired laborers) can be forcibly seized & made to serve the soldiers! & will you not be so good as to give some especial order for the protection of our property? Otherwise Genl Thomas’s new plans may have a direct influence in completing our ruin. Are not Union people to be protected! (even if they are on the Mississippi river!) – & will you not put an end to our agonizing doubts on the matter – by granting me orthodox protection – such as cannot be violated! General Grant has been most kind but – even his orders are violated by our troops & I do not understand clearly whether Genl Thomas will be authorized to countermand Genl Grant's protection of us! So pray be so kind – Dear Genl as to take some speedy step in our favor. Otherwise – we can hardly fail to meet the same doom allotted to rebels. for of course – many of our officers will be tempted by hope of gain (as the Dunkin plantations should be “worked” to advantage by them) to declare that we ought not to have protection. I have no words wherewith to express my heartfelt gratitude to Genls Grant & McPherson & to the Admiral, for they were all most kind & just. Still – I prefer to have your warrant in this ghastly crisis. & make my appeal to you – as one who bears the highest character for honor and justice. Feeling assured that I shall not appeal in vain. If you will kindly promise me a few moments conversation – on my arrival in Washington – I should be greatly indebted for I fully expect to be there during present week. but is it asking too much my – Dear Sir to beg one line in response – telling of your kind intentions in our behalf? For you can imagine my painful anxiety & suspense as all we own on earth is planted in Mississippi mud – & although a northern woman – I have great interests at stake in above state – the best proof that I can offer – perhaps – of my loyalty is in the order issued for my arrest by Mrs Jefferson Davis! As someone informed her Royal Highness that “Mrs Henry Duncan was going south as a Union spy!” The southern journals mildly suggested the propriety of hanging poor old Dr. Duncan –  (who you make per chance have known as a former Vice-President of the “Colonization Society.”) If you would like me to send you a score of letters – bearing witness to our Unionism – I can do so by the return mail, but you need only refer to any chance authority to learn that the Duncan family has never yet been disgraced by a traitor! A line to Genl Grant – & another to Gen Thomas – would be regarded as a great favors Dear General for with your protection – I could be in comparative peace.— forgive this long letter but – I cannot can condense the matter & explain it satisfactory. I will promise, however to be more brief in conversation. I should indeed be greatly indebted by one word and reply—

Yours very sincerely
Mary Duncan.
233 Fifth Avenue                                                                                                                          New York
April 26th [1863]

Dr Duncan has also two sugar plantations in La. — on Bayou Teche — near Franklin & as said States are now in our (Union) lines – can they not be protected?

SOUCE:  This letter was listed and sold at auction oakauctions.com on September 10, 2020. Accessed October 28, 2021


No comments: