Thursday, May 8, 2014

Major-General Thomas J. Jackson to Mary Anna Morrison Jackson, November 4, 1861

November 4, 1861

This morning I received orders to proceed to Winchester. I am assigned to the command of the military district of the Northern frontier, between the Blue Ridge and the Alleghany Mountains, and I hope to have my little dove with me this winter. How do you like the programme? I trust I may be able to send for you after I get settled. I don't expect much sleep to-night, as my desire is to travel all night, if necessary, for the purpose of reaching Winchester before day to-morrow. My trust is in God for the defence of that country [the Valley]. I shall have great labor to perform, but, through the blessing of our ever-kind Heavenly Father, I trust that He will enable me to accomplish it. Colonel Preston and Sandy Pendleton go with me.

SOURCE: Mary Anna Jackson, Life and Letters of General Thomas J. Jackson (Stonewall Jackson), p. 200

No comments: