Thursday, September 11, 2014

Brigadier General Thomas Kilby Smith, April 9, 1865

Headquarters District Of South Alabama,
Fort Gaines, Ala., April 9, 1865.

I have this moment received news that Petersburg has fallen, Richmond evacuated, and Grant in hot pursuit of Lee's retreating army. It comes to me vaguely; still, there are good grounds for the rumor. Our own siege drags slowly. I miss Sherman and Grant and my lamented friend McPherson. I don't find the old spirit down here; still we shall succeed; that is beyond all peradventure, our troops are in good spirits and there is no possibility of the enemy's escaping us.

The weather has been cool here and generally pleasant. My health is not very good, and I have not been able to enjoy it. I think the malarial influence of my last summer's campaign is still upon me, and I doubt whether the sea air agrees with me; but I keep about and attend to business. I am taking quinine in pretty large and frequent doses. I shall take all possible care of myself; but I fear my old powers will never return to me. I ought not to complain, and strive to be contented; but I am made conscious that the days are drawing near when the “grasshopper will be a burthen.”

SOURCE: Walter George Smith, Life and letters of Thomas Kilby Smith, p. 385-6

No comments: