Friday, November 6, 2015

General Robert E. Lee to Senator Louis T. Wigfall, February 8, 1865

head Quarters,
Army N. Va.,
8th February, 1865.
hon. Louis T. Wigfall,
Richmond.

Dear Sir:

I have received your letter of the 3rd inst. with reference to permitting the Texas Brigade to return home to recruit.

No troops in the Army have earned a better title to indulgence than the brave Texas Brigade, and to none would I more willingly grant any privilege consistent with the interests of the service. I have no doubt but that they would return, and I hope they would realize all you promise in the way of recruits. But it is impossible for me to detach any men from this army now. I do not think that we shall remain long inactive. Operations on our right have already begun, and there are indications of movements in other quarters in which this army has an immediate concern. Such is our great want of men, that the absence of even four hundred would be severely felt, especially four hundred of our best troops. I see no way to accomplish your wish except by first bringing some regiments or a brigade from Texas to take the place of these now here. If that can be done I need not say how much pleasure it would afford me to let the old brigade go home, and how pleased I should be to see it return augmented to a Division.

I do think it extremely important that some of the troops west of the Mississippi should be brought to this side.

The enemy has brought away a large part of the force with which he has been operating in the West, and concentrated upon our eastern armies. I think we must do the same with ours, and will be greatly obliged for any assistance you can render to accomplish it.

We are greatly in need of men.

Very respectfully,
Your obt. servt.,
R. E. Lee,
Genl.

SOURCE: Louise Wigfall Wright, A Southern Girl in ’61, p. 226-7

No comments: