Friday, November 13, 2015

Senator Robert M. T. Hunter to General Robert E. Lee, February 10, 1865

Senate Chamber,
10th February, 1865.
My dear Sir:

A letter has been addressed to you, urging the assignment of Genl. Joseph E. Johnston to the command of the Army in front of Sherman. This letter has been numerously signed by Senators, of whom I was not one. I did not sign because I did not wish to embarrass you. But my opinion is, that such an assignment would have a most beneficial effect. If I am to trust the manifestations which I have witnessed from certain members of Congress, there is nothing which could be done, which would so much revive hope, as the assignment of Genl. Joseph E. Johnston to the command of that Army.

Very truly and respectfully,
Your friend,
R. M. T. Hunter.
Official.
W. H. Taylor, A. A. G.

SOURCE: Louise Wigfall Wright, A Southern Girl in ’61, p. 239-40

No comments: