Sunday, April 6, 2014

Major-General George B. McClellan to Edwin M. Stanton, June 30, 1862 – 7 p.m.

TURKEY B BRIDGE, June 30, 1862 7 p.m.
(Received July 1, 11.30 a.m.)
Hon. E. M. STANTON:

Another day of desperate fighting. We are hard pressed by superior numbers. I fear I shall be forced to abandon my material to save my men under cover of the gunboats. You must send us very large re-enforcements by way of Fort Monroe, and they must come very promptly. My army has behaved superbly, and have done all that men could do. If none of us escape, we shall at least have done honor to the country.

I shall do my best to save the army. Send more gunboats.

GEO. B. McCLELLAN,
Major-General, Commanding.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 11, Part 3 (Serial No. 14), p. 280

No comments: