Sunday, April 6, 2014

Major General George B. McClellan to Brigadier-General Lorenzo Thomas, July 1, 1862

HEADQUARTERS ARMY OF THE POTOMAC,
Haxall's -Plantation, July 1, 1862.
Brig. Gen. LORENZO THOMAS,
Adjutant-General U. S. Army:

GENERAL: My whole army is here, with all its guns and material. The battle of yesterday was very severe, but the enemy was repulsed and severely punished. After dark the troops retired to this position. My men are completely exhausted, and I dread the result if we are attacked to-day by fresh troops. If possible I shall retire to-night to Harrison's Bar, where the gunboats can render more aid in covering our position. Permit me to urge that not an hour should be lost in sending me fresh troops. More gunboats are much needed.

I hope that the enemy was so severely handled yesterday as to render him careful in his movements to-day. I now pray for time. My men have proved themselves the equals of any troops in the world, but they are worn-out. Our losses have been very great. I doubt whether more severe battles have ever been fought. We have failed to win only because overpowered by superior numbers.

Very truly, yours,
GEO. B. McCLELLAN,
Major-General, Commanding.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 11, Part 3 (Serial No. 14), p. 282

No comments: