Friday, September 4, 2015

Major-General John Sedgwick to his Sister, March 14, 1864

March 14, 1864.
My dear sister:

Your letter of the 9th instant came two days since. I have nothing especial to say. General Grant made a flying visit here last week. I spent the evening with him, and was most agreeably disappointed, both in his personal appearance and his straightforward, common-sense view of matters. He has gone back again, but is expecting to return in two or three weeks, and, rumour says, will take command of this army. Good feeling seemed to exist between him and General Meade.

The great raid was a great failure. It does not seem to have been made with any judgment. At the time there were no troops in Richmond, and by a bold dash it was hoped that such a command might enter the city and release our prisoners.

I am very sorry to hear that Cousin Catherine is so ill; but I hope the warm weather will invigourate her, and she may be spared to us for many years. When you write her, give her my great love. Give Cousin Mary, too, much love. Give the recruit such a present as you think suitable. The picture is in Washington. I sent it up to have it touched over, and the artist wanted to see me before completing it. I shall probably go up in a few days, and soon after will send it on. You know it was painted from a photograph, the painter never having seen me.

With much love, I am, as ever,
Your affectionate brother,
John Sedgwick.

SOURCE: George William Curtis, Correspondence of John Sedgwick, Major-General, Volume 2, p. 177-8

No comments: