Thursday, December 9, 2021

Major-General John A. McClernand to Edwin M. Stanton, August 24, 1863

SPRINGFIELD, ILL.,        
August 24, 1863.
Hon. E. M. STANTON,
        Secretary of War:

On June 27, ultimo, I had the honor to address you a respectful communication, giving the circumstances attending my removal by General Grant from the command of the Thirteenth Army Corps, and containing, among other things, the following passages:

I ask, in justice, for an investigation of General Grant's and my conduct as officers from the battle of Belmont to the assault of May 22 on Vicksburg, inclusive.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *

Please early advise me of the determination of the Government in the premises.

Fearing that the foregoing matter, in the multitude of your engagements, has escaped your attention, I write again, respectfully asking that you will please immediately advise me whether the desired investigation will or will not be ordered.

Your obedient servant,
JOHN A. McCLERNAND,        
Major-general.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 24, Part 1 (Serial No. 36), p. 158

No comments: