Fort Hill 11th April 1847
MY DEAR SIR, . . . The
spring has been very backward; but the weather has been warm and dry since the
commencement of the month, and vegitation has pushed forward with great
rapidity. The woods begin to assume their summer garb, and every thing seems
gay and cheerful. This morning is a lovely one, of the most agreeable
temperature. The birds are sending up their joyous notes in every direction.
We, however, begin to want rain, to bring up our corn and cotton, and give
vigour to the growth of small grain.
As to politicks,
things as yet, continue much as they have been, when I last wrote you. Ritchie
continues his abuse, to which I have no objection. He has been long my secret
foe, he is now an open and bitter one. Whatever impression he may make against
me for the time, will in a short time react. I do not think, that there is the
slightest prospect, that the old Hunkers of which he is the Organ, can ever
again be resuscitated. They are incredibly corrupt; — alike destitute of honor
or honesty. They know, that I have sustained the democratick party for the last
ten years, and that without my support, they would have been prostrated forever
by the explosion of 1837. They know, that my support has been of the most
disinterested character; and yet they hate me, with a deeper hatred, than what
they do, their professed opponents, simply because of my opposition to the
spoils principle and the caucus Machinery, the only cohesive power, that holds
them together. But their days are numbered, and they see it; and hence the
gnashing of the teeth, and bitter curses. I take it with perfect calmness. They
shall have more cause for Wailling before I am done. The last session is but
the prelude to the next, when the day of reconing will commence.
SOURCE: J. Franklin Jameson, Editor, Annual Report of the American Historical Association for the Year 1899, Volume II, Calhoun’s Correspondence: Fourth Annual Report of the Historical Manuscripts Commission, Correspondence of John C. Calhoun, p. 726
No comments:
Post a Comment