Tuesday, March 17, 2020

General Robert E. Lee to Jefferson Davis, April 2, 1865

PETERSBURG, April 2, 1865.
His Excellency President DAVIS, Richmond, Va.:

I think it is absolutely necessary that we should abandon our position to-night. I have given all the necessary orders on the subject to the troops, and the operation, though difficult, I hope will be performed successfully. I have directed General Stevens to send an officer to Your Excellency to explain the routes to you by which the troops will be moved to Amelia Court-House, and furnish you with a guide and any assistance that you may require for yourself.

R. E. LEE.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 46, Part 3 (Serial No. 97), p. 1378

No comments: