Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Brigadier-General Rutherford B. Hayes to Lucy Webb Hayes, May 5, 1865

WASHINGTON, May 5, 1865.

DEAREST:— I am here in Judge Johnston's pleasant quarters, established in a homelike way. Dined with Charley Anderson at Governor Dennison's yesterday. All talk of you..

I am yet undecided as to when I go out, etc., etc., but soon. My trip with you is not any more probable, but keep ready a little while longer. We shall be together very soon somewhere. If at Chillicothe, you must get an extra room for a short time.

I am meditating this, to quietly determine, for my own and your knowledge, to quit public life as soon as my term in Congress ends. That fixed, then at once either open a law office in Cincinnati as soon as I resign, or prepare a home at Fremont. Don't worry over it, but think of it and when we meet we will confer. Love to the dear ones.

Ever affectionately,
R.
MRS. HAYES.

SOURCE: Charles Richard Williams, editor, Diary and Letters of Rutherford Birchard Hayes, Volume 2, p. 581

No comments: