Sunday, May 21, 2023

Senator John C. Calhoun to Anna Calhoun Clemson, February 24, 1850

Washington 24th Feb 1850

MY DEAR ANNA, . . . Besides my correspondence, which, with Mr Clemson, extends when from home to nine persons in my own family, and when at home usually five or six, I have written between 350 and 400 pages of foolscap in execution of the work I have on hand, since we parted, and have reviewed, corrected and had coppied the elementary disquisition on government (now ready for the press) containing 125 pages of foolscap. When I add, that I have done all this in the midest of a round of company, and my many other engagements, I think you will see, that I have a very good excuse, if I have not written you as frequently as formerly.

I answered Mr Clemson's last, shortly after I received it. I hope he has got my answer. I gave him an account of my illness, and the State of my health at the time. My strength gradually continued to return, but slowly, until I had so far recovered, that I was enabled to take my seat in the Senate last monday and hoped to be able to address the Senate on the great question, which now absorbs all others, in a few days. The next day, the weather was very bad, and I did not go out. The day after I found myself in the incepient state of a cold, which increased the next, accompanied by a slight fever. I have the last three days been free of any febrish symptoms, and my cold is now broke. I cough still a good deal but the phlem is loose, and I expectorate freely. It has thrown me back a week, but there has been nothing serious about it. I do not think it is to be attributed to any exposure, or imprudence on my part, but to the state of the atmosphere. Indeed colds are so common as to be almost epidemick.

I am afraid Patricks health is seriously impaired. He is now staying with his brother Andrew, and is much better. I hope when the weather gets warm, and settled he will go to Fort Hill, and remain there until he gets fully able to join his Regiment. A frontier life, away from the pleasures of a city, may fully restore him.

The excitement, in reference to the Slave question continues on the increase. I see no prospect I see no prospect of any satisfactory adjustment of it. You were deceived, if you supposed the South gained anything, by the election of Cobb. He was forced on us by the Northern democrats, as they call themselves, but free soilers as they should be called. They could not be induced to rally on any other Southern man; and the only reason they rallied on him was, that he was the least true of all the Southern members, of the South, to the South. Indeed, such is the state of things in which we are placed, that it is indispensible to the elevation of any Southerner, that he should be false to his section.

I am exceedingly anxious to be heard in the debate now going on in the Senate; and as my strength may not be sufficiently restored in time, I have resolved to write out what I intended to say, and have it read, should it not be.

I am happy to hear that you are all well, and the children doing so well. My love to Mr Clemson and them, with a kiss from grandfather. May God bless you all.

SOURCE: J. Franklin Jameson, Editor, Annual Report of the American Historical Association for the Year 1899, Volume II, Calhoun’s Correspondence: Fourth Annual Report of the Historical Manuscripts Commission, Correspondence of John C. Calhoun, p. 782-3

No comments: