Friday, October 2, 2026

Diary of Edward Bates, July 5, 1859

. . . For some days past, my sister18 has been in a very precarious condition — not sick with any painful disease, but being frequently taken with a difficulty of breathing, as if the lungs were too weak to clear the throat. I think it is but the weakness of old age, the natural decay of the organs. I should not wonder at her going off any hour.

As to me, I feel, tho' in perfect bodily health, an indolence and indecision not common with me. The cause, I fear, is the mixing up of my name in Politics. I am suffering a serious injury, professionally and perhaps, socially, by the many suggestions, in various parts of the country, to take me up as the Opposition candidate for the Presidency. The idea is presented in so many ways and sometimes in a shape so plausible, as to force itself upon my attention and withdraw my thoughts from other topics more practical and more necessary to my interests. A large section of the Republican party, who think that Mr. Seward's nomination would ensure defeat, are anxious to take me up, thinking that I could carry the Whigs and Americans generally, and thus ensure the Northern States and have a strong party in the border slave states, consisting of Whigs and Americans. I must try to resist the temptation, and not allow my thoughts to be drawn off from the common channels of business and domestic cares. Ambition is a passion, at once strong and insidious, and is very apt to cheet [sic] a man out of his happiness and his true respectability of character.
_______________

18 Sarah Bates. Supra, May 8, 1859, note 47.

SOURCE: Howard K. Beale, Editor, Annual Report of The American Historical Association For The Year 1930, Vol. 4, The Diary Of Edward Bates, pp. 29-30

No comments: