Sunday, August 2, 2026

Daniel Webster to Millard Fillmore, September 8, 1851

Franklin, September 8, 1851.

MY DEAR SIR, — I was delighted to receive your letter of the 2d, and to find you are at home, safe and well. I saw you had your hands full of Cuban matters. I think your course entirely right. What patriots and hot-headed men will next undertake, respecting Cuba, remains to be seen. We must expect that every possible effort will be made to embroil us with Spain.

I have had rather a hard time. I have been able to keep off the catarrh so far, but it has called on me to take so much medicine as a good deal to derange my system. In addition to this, I was attacked three weeks ago by a violent pain in one of my feet, which the doctor says is gout. I can hardly believe this, as we never had gout in our family; but there is something, and which is by spells exceedingly painful. The physician says it will do my constitution a great deal of good, and go off in good time.

I go to Boston to-day, where Mrs. Webster is, and thence immediately to Marshfield. By the process, thus far, I have lost flesh, and am not a little reduced. Yesterday and Sunday were exceedingly hot, bright days; and although I did step out of the house, the heat affected my eyes, much after the catarrh fashion. I resisted the attack, however, by the application of ice. This effort to avert the catarrh, and this appearance of gout, if it be good, will produce a change of some sort, in the state of my health. I do not know how it will come out, but hope for the best.

I think you will do very well to make Mr. Crittenden acting secretary on his return. I shall make every effort to get to Washington before the month is out, and am the more anxious to do so, as I must be in New Hampshire to meet friends one day in the early part of October, at Manchester. All depends, however, on the progress I may make in regard to health.

I do hope Mr. Corwin will not quit. Conjure him, in my behalf, to remain for the present.

I shall give Mr. Derrick directions to recall Mr. Forward.

I shall not attend the Boston celebration, and I should not if I were well. I cannot accept any invitation in which the mayor and aldermen form part of the inviters.

Yours, always truly,
DAN'L WEBSTER.

SOURCE: Fletcher Webster, Editor, The Private Correspondence of Daniel Webster, Vol. 2, pp. 469-70

No comments: