MY DEAR FRIEND, — Since I wrote you last, I have gone through sudden and various changes in regard to my health. Things wore on, much as they had been going, until the first of this month. Then excessively hot weather set in, and gave a new turn to matters. Saturday the 6th, Sunday the 7th, and Monday the 8th were intolerable days for heat. On Saturday, although I did not step over the threshold, my eyes became strongly affected, much after the catarrh fashion, and this continued. Monday afternoon the weather appearing to cool a little, and the cars not passing till six o'clock, I ventured on board for Boston. We were unlucky. The engine was thrown off the track by running over cattle; it was midnight before we got in. I took a heavy cold, and the next day was quite ill all day. Wednesday afternoon I broke away by violence, and came hither by way of the Hingham boat. While in Boston, Dr. Jeffries advised me to leave off all medicine for a time, which I did, and have not yet resumed the taking of any. These things, or some of them, have caused a very sudden improvement. My feet became at once quite well, nor have I felt any great influence of catarrh, since I have been here. On Thursday, I caught thirty very fine Tautog, under Sunk Rock. It was just the day for them; mild, still, and a little cloudy. On such a day, and just at the commencement of flood tide, throw your hook into their den, and the chiefs will all contend for it. I took one seven pound fellow. On Saturday, I went out in the Lapwing with Fletcher, and some of his Boston friends. We had no great luck, and it came on to rain, during a perfect calm, so that we did not escape a wetting. I took little harm from it.
Saturday night wind and weather changed, and we have had it quite cold. This morning the wind is east, and at sunrise the mercury stood 51°. I doubt whether I shall leave the house to-day. Mr. Lanman came with me from New Hampshire, has been here, and went off this morning for New York. Mrs. Webster, Miss Kate Le Roy, and myself constitute the parlour part of the household.
I received an invitation from the City Government to attend the railroad celebration, which I declined. The President wrote me on the 10th, that he should not be here, but a telegraphic despatch announced, Saturday evening, that he would leave Washington this morning for Boston.
Mrs. Webster and I propose to go to town to-morrow, to see the fashions a little, and spend two or three days. Then one more short stay at this place, will bring us to October.
Marshfield looks finely, and every thing is right but the potatoes. The rot has taken them. The barns are crowded full of hay and grain, the fields have quite an English green about them, and the cattle are up to their knees in fresh grown grass. N. B. Since writing so far, I have yours, saying you have flown off to Niagara.
SOURCE: Fletcher Webster, Editor, The Private Correspondence of Daniel Webster, Vol. 2, pp. 471-2
No comments:
Post a Comment