Monday, February 23, 2015

Major-General George G. Meade to Margaretta Sergeant Meade, April 16, 1865

Headquarters Army Of The Potomac, April 16, 1865.

I received to-day your letter of the 12th, giving an account of the Union League serenade, and of your having learned of the death of Willie. I am glad for your sake some notice has been taken of my services.

As to Willie, I have written to you how shocked I was to hear of his death. This will, of course, be a terrible blow to his poor wife and the dear children. Your mother also, at her time of life, will necessarily feel it deeply.

Yesterday we were shocked by the announcement of the assassination of the President, Secretary and Assistant Secretary of State. I cannot imagine the motives of the perpetrators of these foul deeds, or what they expect to gain. The whole affair is a mystery. Let us pray God to have mercy on our country and bring us through these trials.

SOURCE: George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 2, p. 272-3

No comments: