Friday, January 10, 2014

Brigadier General George G. Meade to Margaretta Sergeant Meade, August 18, 1862

FREDERICKSBURG,1 August 18, 1862.

I enclose you an order recently published by McClellan, which I wish you to show Dr. Hewson, as it will confirm what I told him, that the Army of the Potomac had always carried out the new policy in a proper manner, and that the President's order and Pope's manifestoes were unnecessary.

Sunday morning at eight o'clock I left in the boat for this place, arriving here in the evening. I find myself ahead of Reynolds and Seymour. Burnside is absent, and Parke, recently made major general, is in command. To-day I have been very busy, seeing Parke and getting myself fixed. I visited my old regiments and was received with much enthusiasm, and I really believe the whole command, officers and men, were sincerely glad to see me back.
__________

1 Should be opposite Fredericksburg.

SOURCE: George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 1, p. 303

No comments: