Saturday, August 2, 2014

Major-General Thomas J. Jackson to Mary Anna Morrison Jackson, November 20, 1862

Don't you wish you were here in Winchester?  Our headquarters are about one hundred yards from Mr. Graham's, in a large white house back of his, and in full view of our last winter's quarters, where my esposa used to come up and talk with me. Wouldn't it be nice for you to be here again? but I don't know how long you could remain.  . . . I hope to have the privilege of joining in prayer for peace at the time you name, and trust that all our Christian people will; but peace should not be the chief object of prayer in our country. It should aim more especially to implore God's forgiveness of our sins, and make our people a holy people. If we are but His, all things shall work together for the good of our country, and no good thing will He withhold from it.

Monday. If you had been in Winchester when I commenced this letter, you would not be there now, for your husband is no longer there, but his heart is with his little darling. Write to me at Gordonsville, as I hope to be there by Thursday.

SOURCE: Mary Anna Jackson, Life and Letters of General Thomas J. Jackson (Stonewall Jackson), p. 366

No comments: