Monday, March 23, 2015

Major-General Thomas J. Jackson to Colonel John T. L. Preston, July 22, 1862

Headquarters, Valley District,
July 22d, 1862.

Dear Colonel Preston, — Your letter, and the touching poetical production of Maggie have been handed me by Cadet Morrison. I have known your son Willy long, and hope that an opportunity will offer for showing my appreciation of his great worth. Accept my thanks for your kindness in advancing funds to Cadet Morrison. Please settle it as you suggest, and keep the bond until you hear from me upon the subject; unless you should meet with an opportunity of handing it to Mrs. Jackson; but do not send it to her. I congratulate you upon Frank's return home. Remember me very kindly to all enquiring friends. Please say to Dr. White that I wish him to pay my stipends last due, from the money I sent him by you. I think he acknowledged the receipt of the funds, but said no thing about the stipends, and I fear that he did not feel authorized to pay himself from the funds placed in his hands?

Very truly your friend,
T. J. Jackson.

SOURCE: Elizabeth Preston Allan, The Life and Letters of Margaret Junkin Preston, p. 151-2

No comments: