Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Wood Measuring

Mr. Editor, Sir: Last November I became a resident of Davenport. Having occasion to buy wood several times at the wood-yards, I was satisfied that I did not get fair measure; that I did not get more than seven-eighths the amount I paid for.

A short time since I was pleased to learn that the City Fathers had taken measures to have justice done to the buyers as well as to the sellers of wood, by appointing City Surveyors and requiring all loads of wood to be measured and by so doing buyers would be less liable to have to pay for more than they receive.

Has the objected been accomplished? Last Saturday I bought a load of wood measured on the sled, and said to contain one cord; had it hauled home and thrown into my yard. It looked to me a small pile of wood to pay four dollars for, especially in these hard times; and four the purpose of satisfying myself I corded the wood, measured it, and found that I had been shaved just one eighth.

Now Mr. Editor, if this is an improvement on the former mode of being swindled, otherwise than having it done according to law you would oblige many citizens by pointing out the advantages gained.

MAIN STREET.

February 10, 1862.

– Published in The Davenport Daily Gazette, Davenport, Iowa, Tuesday Morning, February 11, 1862, p. 1

No comments: