Saturday, August 28, 2010

Gen. Dix's Famous Order

The editor of the New York Ledger wrote to Gen. Dix to inquire as to the original of the famous order, - “The first man that attempts to haul down the American flag, shoot him on the spot,” this order having been attributed by the Ledger to the fertile brain of Secretary Stanton. In reply to the inquiry, Gen. Dix writes as follows:

You will find the original “Shoot him on the spot” order at the house of my son, Rev. Mr. Dix, 12 Charlton street, framed and hanging in his parlor. When I gave the order I had no idea that such an importance would have been given to it, but when I found it making a stir, I inclosed the original to my son. No man suggested a word or saw it until after it was written. Some months ago it was attributed to Mr. Holt; now, I understand from you, to Mr. Stanton, by the Ledger.

– Published in The Burlington Weekly Hawk-Eye, Burlington, Iowa, Saturday, May 10, 1862, p. 2

No comments: