MILLER’S (2D) BRIGADE.
PRENTISS’ (6TH) DIVISION.
ARMY OF THE TENNESSEE
16TH REGIMENT INFANTRY VOLUNTEERS,
COMMANDED BY COL. ALEXANDER CHAMBERS, WOUNDED,
LIEUT. COL. ADD. H. SANDERS.
This regiment early in the morning of April 6, 1862, formed on the bluff at Pittsburg Landing and for the first time received ammunition. It remained in this position an hour, when by orders of General Grant it marched with the 15th Iowa to the support of McClernand's (1st) Division. It entered the field near Oglesby's headquarters and while passing over it was fired upon by artillery and musketry. Its Colonel commanding officially reported that the regiment formed line of battle here about 10.30 in the forenoon, and advancing to the edge of timber held that position for an hour or more, and then retired under orders. Later in the day under command of Lieutenant Colonel Sanders it supported Schwartz's battery. On Monday it was on the reserve line.
Present for duty 785. Its loss was 2 officers and 15 men killed; 11 officers and 90 men wounded; 13 men captured or missing; total, 131.
[Per the Shiloh National Military Park Monument Location System: NOTE* The Shiloh National Military Park Commission disagreed with the Iowa Shiloh Battlefield Commission concerning the time of day this regiment was in action here. Park Historian D. W. Reed records that this regiment joined McClernand on his fifth line. That line was not formed until after 12:00 noon. Reed states that the regiment's severest action occurred between 1 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. The farthest advance of the 16th Iowa was possibly 2/10's mile southwest of this monument to a point near or in the camp of the 20th Illinois Infantry, before retiring to this place by 2:00 p.m.]