Friday, January 6, 2012

41st Illinois Infantry Monument: The Peach Orchard, Shiloh National Military Park


ILLINOIS

41ST INFANTRY
1ST BRIGADE – WILLIAMS
4TH DIVISION – HURLBUT
ARMY OF THE TENNESSEE



41ST INFANTRY

Commanded By
1. Col. Isaac Pugh.
2. Lieut. Col. A. Tupper, Killed.
3. Major John Warner.
4. Capt. John N. Hale.

This regiment was first attacked about 9.00 a.m., April 6, 1862, on a line 100 yards in front, but soon fell back to this position which it held until 2.00 p.m., when it withdrew to repair guns and get ammunition. Its loss in the battle was 2 officers and 19 men killed; 2 officers and 71 men wounded; 3 men missing; total, 97.

2 comments:

Dianne said...

I am looking for any information on a John C. Cox, 2nd Lt, 41st Illinois Infantry 1st Brigade, 4th Division. I do know that he was wounded the first day of the battle April 6, and died three days later april 9th. I am looking for any pictures, letters, any information. My mother, who is how I am related, died on April 9th, 2010, and I just find it ironic she died so many years later on the same day her her great, great, great, grandfather. Any information would be appreciated. I have no pictures of this gentlemen or any family letters.

Anonymous said...

I have a picture of a headstone of a Lt. John B. Cox
Kip Johnson
kipjohns@mchsi.com