Sunday, July 1, 2012

Brigadier General William T. Sherman to Senator John Sherman, April 16, 1862


[DICTATED.]

CAMP SHILOH NEAR PITTSBUBGH, TENN.,
April 16, 1862.

Hon. JOHN SHERMAN, Washington, D.C.

Dear Brother:

. . . . . . . . . .

My division is made up mostly of new regiments, some of which behaved well and others badly, but I hope by patience to make it as good as any other division in the Army.

Since the battle I have been up to Chickasaw, from which point I caused the destruction of the Charleston and Memphis Railroad at its crossing over Bear Creek, a valuable piece of service.

My right hand is temporarily disabled by inflammation from a wound, but with good luck will be all right in a week.

I believe that our hardest fighting is yet to be done, but I have absolute faith in Generals Halleck, Buell, and Grant.

Affectionately your Brother,
W. T. SHERMAN.

SOURCE: Rachel Sherman Thorndike, Editor, The Sherman letters: correspondence between General and Senator Sherman from 1837 to 1891, p. 141

No comments: