THE COMMISSION AND ITS WORK.
George L. Godfrey, Des Moines, Second Iowa infantry.
George W. Crosley, Webster City, Third Iowa infantry.
Alexander J. Miller, Oxford, Sixth Iowa infantry.
Robert G. Reiniger, Charles City, Seventh Iowa infantry.
William B. Bell, Washington, Eighth Iowa infantry.
George O. Morgridge, Muscatine, Eleventh Iowa infantry.
Erastus B. Soper, Emmetsburg, Twelfth Iowa infantry.
Chas. W. Kepler, Mount Vernon, Thirteenth Iowa infantry.
*Daniel Matson, Kossuth, Fourteenth Iowa infantry.
James W. Carson, Woodburn, Fifteenth Iowa infantry.
John Hayes, Red Oak, Sixteenth Iowa infantry.
E. B. Soper, Emmetsburg;
William Bell, Washington.
William Bell, Washington;
George W. Crosley, Webster City.
John Hayes, Red Oak.
The Twenty-eighth General Assembly appropriated the sum of fifty thousand dollars for the purpose of perpetuating the memory of those who participated in the battle of Shiloh and designating by proper monuments and markers of granite the positions of the several commands of Iowa Volunteers there engaged April 6 and 7, 1862.
The act, approved April 6, 1900, provided for the appointment by the Governor of a commission composed of men who were present and participated in the battle—one soldier from each of the eleven Iowa regiments engaged.
*Appointed November 21, 1900, to succeed W. T. Shaw, resigned
SOURCE: Alonzo Abernathy, Editor, Dedication of Monuments Erected By The State Of Iowa, p. 288-9