Saturday, October 20, 2012

Major General Ulysses S. Grant to Congressman Elihu B. Washburne, June 1, 1862

Camp near Corinth, Mississippi,
June I, 1862.

INCLOSED I send a letter addressed to the Hon. E. M. Stanton, Secretary of War, which I would be pleased if you would cause to be delivered with any recommendation that you may deem proper. Lieutant Dickey is the son of Col. Dickey of the Fourth Illinois Cavalry, and brother-in-law of the late General W. H. L. Wallace, who fell at the battle of Shiloh. Although Lieutenant Dickey has served under my command almost from his first entrance into service, I can not answer from personal knowledge as to his qualifications; but General Judah, who recommends him, is an experienced officer, and fully qualified to judge of his merits.

The siege of Corinth has at last terminated. On Friday morning it was found that the last rebel had left during the preceding night. On entering the enemy's intrenchments, it was discovered that they had succeeded in taking off or destroying nearly everything of value. General Pope is now in full pursuit of the retreating foe, and I think will succeed in capturing and dispersing many of them. There will be much unjust criticism of this affair, but future effects will prove it a great victory. Not being in command, however, I will not give a history of the battle in advance of official reports.

I leave here in a day or two for Covington, Ky., on a short leave of absence. I may write you again from there if I do not visit Washington in person.

SOURCE: James Grant Wilson, Editor, General Grant’s Letters to a Friend 1861-1880, p. 13-4

No comments: