Thursday, July 4, 2013

Lieutenant General John C. Pemberton to Major General Ulysses S. Grant, July 3, 1863

HEADQUARTERS,
Vicksburg, Miss., July 3, 1863.

Maj. Gen. U.S. GRANT,
Commanding United States Forces, &c.:

GENERAL: I have the honor to acknowledge the receipt of your communication of this date, proposing terms of capitulation for this garrison and post.

In the main, your terms are accepted; but in justice both to the honor and spirit of my troops, manifested in the defense of Vicksburg, I have to submit the following amendments, which, if acceded to by you, will perfect the agreement between us.

At 10 a.m. to-morrow I propose to evacuate the works in and around Vicksburg, and to surrender the city and garrison under my command, by marching out with my colors and arms, stacking them in front of my present lines, after which you will take possession.

Officers to retain their side arms and personal property, and the rights and property of citizens to be respected.

I am, general, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

J. C. PEMBERTON,
Lieutenant-General.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 24, Part 1 (Serial No. 36),  p. 60-1

No comments: