Thursday, July 4, 2013

Lieutenant General John C. Pemberton to Major General Ulysses S. Grant, July 3, 1863

HEADQUARTERS,
Vicksburg, Miss., July 3, 1863.

Maj. Gen. U.S. GRANT,
Commanding United States Forces:

GENERAL: I have the honor to propose to you an armistice for several hours, with a view to arranging terms for the capitulation of Vicksburg. To this end, if agreeable to you, I will appoint three commissioners to meet a like number, to be named by yourself, at such place and hour to-day as you may find convenient.

I make this proposition to save the further effusion of blood, which must otherwise be shed to a frightful extent, feeling myself fully able to maintain my position for a yet indefinite period.

This communication will be handed you under a flag of truce by Maj. Gen. John S. Bowen.

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,

J. C. PEMBERTON,
Lieutenant-General, Commanding.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 24, Part 1 (Serial No. 36),  p. 283

No comments: