Friday, August 2, 2013

Supplemental Report of Col. A. M. Hare

MUSCATINE, IOWA, May 3, 1862.

To Major Brayman, A. A. General 1st Division:

SIR:  Having been wounded in the hand on the first day of the battle of Pittsburg Landing, I was unable to write out my report myself, and entrusted that duty to other hands.  I gave full directions concerning the same, but by inadvertence, I suppose, the names of Lieut. Col. M. M. Price and Major John Shane, of the 13th Iowa, are not mentioned.  I take this occasion to call particular attention to these two gentlemen.  They both acted with the greatest coolness and intrepidity, and were both disabled on the first day of the battle. – Lieut. Col. Price by the falling of a limb of a tree, and Major Shane by a minie ball in the arm near the shoulder.

Respectfully,
A. M. HARE,
Col. Commanding Brigade.

– Published in The Davenport Daily Gazette, Davenport, Iowa, Wednesday Morning, May 7, 1862, p. 2

No comments: