Thursday, October 17, 2013

General Robert E. Lee to Mary Custis Lee, September 26, 1861

CAMP ON SEWELL MOUNTAINS, September 26, 1861

I told you of the death of Colonel Washington. I grieve for his loss, though I trust him to the mercy of our Heavenly Father. It is raining heavily. The men are all exposed on the mountains, with the enemy opposite to us. We are without tents, and for two nights I have lain buttoned up in my overcoat. Today my tent came up and I am in it, yet I fear I shall not sleep for thinking of the poor men. I have no doubt the socks you mentioned will be very acceptable to the men here and elsewhere. If you can send them here, I will distribute to the most needy.

SOURCE: John William Jones, Life and Letters of Robert Edward Lee: Soldier and Man, p. 148-9

No comments: