Tuesday, November 19, 2013

General Robert E. Lee. To Charlotte Wickham Lee, June 2, 1862

NEAR RICHMOND, 2d June, 1862.

You may have heard that a battle has been fought near Richmond, my darling Chass, and be uneasy about your husband. I write, therefore, to inform you that he is well. The cavalry was not engaged, and of course he was not exposed. . . . I am sorry to say that General Johnston was wounded Saturday evening, not seriously, I am told; but when I left Richmond yesterday the extent of his wound was not known. . . . I am now in the field again. The wound of General Johnston obliging him to leave, it rendered it necessary, in the opinion of the President, that I should take his place. I wish his mantle had fallen upon an abler man, or that I were able to drive our enemies back to their homes. I have no ambition and no desire but for the attainment of this object, and, therefore, only wish for its accomplishment by him that can do it most speedily and thoroughly. I saw F. Friday. Was at his camp. . . . He is well and so is Shiloh, Moses, etc. I told him about you, and gave him your address. He said he would write. I hear nothing of your poor mama, or the White House. Kiss Agnes for me, also your fine boy. I wrote to both of you some days since,—but I can do nothing but think of you. God bless you both and all, and keep you for himself now and forever, Your affectionate father,

R. E. LEE.
MRS. CHARLOTTE LEE.

SOURCE: John William Jones, Life and Letters of Robert Edward Lee: Soldier and Man, p. 184

No comments: