Wednesday, November 27, 2013

General Robert E. Lee. To Charlotte Wickham Lee, August 26, 1862

JEFFERSONTON, 26th August, 1862.

I arrived at my tent last night, my dear Chass, and to my delight found your Fitzhugh. It was the first time I had seen him since the battles around Richmond. He is very well, and the picture of health. He could not stay very long, as he had to return to his camp about four miles distant. In the recent expedition to the rear of the enemy, (with a view of cutting off their R. R. communication) he led his regiment, during a terrible storm at night, through the camp of the enemy to Catlett's Station, capturing several hundred prisoners and some valuable papers of General Pope. His cousin, Louis Marshall, is said to have escaped at the first onset, leaving his toddy untouched. I am so grateful to Almighty God for preserving, guiding, and directing him in this war! Help me pray to Him for the continuance of His signal favor. Fitzhugh left me a letter of M. L.'s to read. It is so full of sympathy, piety, and affection that I enclose it to you. I sent you several messages in a letter to your mother yesterday. Kiss her for me. I have heard from neither of you since I left Richmond. Give much love to everybody and believe me, my dear child,

Aff'ly, your father,
R. E. Lee.

SOURCE: John William Jones, Life and Letters of Robert Edward Lee: Soldier and Man, p. 198

No comments: