Saturday, November 23, 2013

General Robert E. Lee to Commander Sydney Smith Lee, July 31, 1862

31st July, 1862.

MY DEAR SMITH:

I send by General Martin your overcoat. It was a great comfort to me and kept me very warm, but it is not waterproof. I was out till 12 that night. Upon my return I found Fitzhugh's promotion, which I had applied for some days before. I consider him one of our best cavalry officers. He, of course, knew nothing of my application, and when his promotion was announced to him he could find but one objection, viz., his fear he might be mistaken for the other General Lee, and that they would be so mixed up together they would not be able to tell one from the other. I pity him if he is mistaken for me. With much love and affection.

Your brother,
R. E. LEE.
CAPT. S. S. LEE.

SOURCE: John William Jones, Life and Letters of Robert Edward Lee: Soldier and Man, p. 188

No comments: