Thursday, November 28, 2013

General Robert E. Lee to Mary Custis Lee, written between September 17 & October 26, 1862

I have not laid my eyes on Rob since I saw him in the battle of Sharpsburg going in with a single gun of his battery for the second time after his company had been withdrawn in consequence of three of its guns having been disabled. Custis has seen him, and says he is very well and apparently happy and content. My hands are improving slowly, and with my left hand I am able to dress and undress myself, which is a great comfort. My right is becoming of some assistance, too, though it is still swollen, and sometimes painful. The bandages have been removed. I am now able to sign my name. It has been six weeks today since I was injured, and I have at last discarded the sling.

SOURCE: John William Jones, Life and Letters of Robert Edward Lee: Soldier and Man, p. 198

No comments: