Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Claggett, the editor of the Constitution . . .

. . . a pro slavery, Mahony sheet published at Keokuk, made a speech in that city last fall, of which the following are extracts.  Speaking of Fremont’s proclamation he said:

“I tell you it is the only thing that has back bone in it.  I tell you, a traitor who is fighting against this Government has no right to any property; it all ought to be confiscated and taken from him, and his negroes, if he has any, [ought] to be freed.”

Speaking of the Mahony leaders, he closed with the following graphic sentence:

“I tell you, if you will give me an honest jury and allow me to sit as judge, so help me god, I can convict Jarius E. Neal and old Mahoney of treason, and hang them both as high as Haman.”

– Published in The Davenport Daily Gazette, Davenport, Iowa, Monday Morning, May 19, 1862, p. 2

No comments: