Tuesday, December 24, 2013

General Robert E. Lee to Gen. W. H. Fitzhugh Lee, June 10, 1863


Culpeper, Virginia
[June 10, 1863]

My Dear Son:

I send you a dispatch received from Custis last night. I hope you are comfortable this morning. I wish I could see you, but I cannot. Take care of yourself and make haste and get well and return. Though I scarcely ever saw you, it was a great comfort to know that you were near and with me. I could think of you and hope to see you. May we yet meet in peace and happiness! Kiss Chass for me. Tell her she must not tease you while you are sick, and let me know how you are. God bless you both, my children.

Truly your father,
R. E. LEE.

SOURCES:  John William Jones, Life and Letters of Robert Edward Lee: Soldier and Man, p. 245; For a full transcription of this letter see Clifford Dowdey and Louis H. Manarin, Editors, The Wartime Papers of R. L. Lee, p. 509;  Mary Daughtry, Gray Cavalier: The Life and Wars of General W. H. F. Lee, p. 141-2

No comments: