Saturday, January 18, 2014

From Mary Todd Lincoln to Abraham Lincoln, November 3, 1862

[November 3, 1862]

My Dear Husband.

I wrote you on yesterday, yet omitted a very important item.  Elizabeth Keckley, who is with me and is working for the Contraband Association, at Wash– is authorised by the White part of the concern by a written document – to collect any thing for them – here that, she can – She has been very unsuccessful – She says the immense number of Contrabands in W– are suffering intensely, many without bed covering & having to use any bits of carpeting to cover themselves– Many dying of want– Out of the $1000 fund deposited with you by Gen Corcoran, I have given her the privelege of investing $200 her, in bed covering– She is the most deeply grateful being, I ever saw, & this sum, I am sure, you will not object to being used in this way– The cause of humanity requires it – and there will be $800 left of the fund– I am sure, this will meet your approbation– The soldiers are well supplied with comfort Please send check for $200 – out of that fund – she will bring you on the bill.

1 comment:

Jim Miller said...

Welcome to Aurora High School's Spring 2014 English III students! Thank you so much for visiting Civil War Notebook.

For additional resources may I point you to the "Documents and Speeches" tab at the top of this page. There you will find links to other letters and Civil War Speeches and Documents, all of which are primary source material.

If I should be of any further assistance to you, please don't hesitate to email me at jdm1968@comcast.net.

Jim Miller