Sunday, January 12, 2014

General Robert E. Lee to Colonel G. W. Custis Lee, January 11, 1863

CAMP, 11th January, 1863.

I am delighted, my dear son, at your safe return to Richmond and to learn of your good health. Your letter which I have just received also strengthens my hope of our ability to hold the Mississippi. God grant that the integrity of the Confederacy may be thus preserved. I hope we will be able to do something for the servants. I executed a deed of manumission, embracing all the names sent me by your mother, and some that I recollected, but as I had nothing to refer to, but my memory, I fear many are omitted. It was my desire to manumit all the people of your grandfather, whether present on the several estates or not. I believe your mother only sent me the names of those present at the W. H. and Romancoke. Those that have left with the enemy may not require their manumission. Still, some may be found hereafter in the State, and at any rate I wished to give a complete list, and to liberate all, to show that your grandfather's wishes, so far as I was concerned, had been fulfilled. Do you not think that is the best course? If you can get the complete list, you can either have a deed drawn up embracing the whole, or a supplementary deed embracing those who have been omitted, stating they had been carried from the plantations by the enemy. Mr. Caskie says six men have been sent to Mr. Eacho by Mr. Chas. Scott, viz.: Obediah, George, Wesley, Henry, Edward, and Oscar.

The latter may be intended for Parks, or Austin, but one of them is missing. Can you ascertain which, and where he is? Harrison was hired to the contractor of the Orange & Alex. R. R. Can you find out where he is? I shall pay wages to Perry and retain him until he or I can do better. You can do the same with Billy. The rest that are hired out had better be furnished with their papers, and be let go. But what can be done with those at the W. H. and Romancoke? Those at and about Arlington can take care of themselves I hope, and I have no doubt but all are gone who desire to do so. At any rate I can do nothing for them now.

I am glad to receive the accts. of sales of the coupons. Those due on the 1st inst. you can retain as long as you think proper.

SOURCE: John William Jones, Life and Letters of Robert Edward Lee: Soldier and Man, p. 285-6

No comments: